The Council was founded in 2011 with a mission to foster excellence and innovation in executive doctoral degree programs worldwide.
It is our aim to provide outstanding networking and educational opportunities for professionals who serve and participate in executive doctoral degree programs. These include but are not limited to Directors, Academic Directors, Faculty, Administrators, Students, and Alumni.
We will serve as the primary point of contact and information source for these professional groups as well as for the media and business schools considering initiating executive doctoral degree programs. The Council will also provide information on executive doctoral degree programs to prospective students.
We will maintain an organizational culture that promotes collegiality and open communications, including respect for each other, collaboration and exchange in research, sharing of best practices, thought leadership in our industry, and excellence based on geographic, cultural, and strategic diversity. The Council serves its membership by helping the involved business schools improve their programs, by enabling exchanges between their Students, Alumni, Faculty and Staff, and by facilitating professional development of individuals who have responsibilities for executive doctoral degree programs.
We are the only organization globally that focuses exclusively on executive doctoral degree programs and their issues. These programs:
- Are directed at fully employed experienced professionals with more than ten years of meaningful post baccalaureate work experience, who already possess an MBA or equivalent graduate degree
- Develop scholarly practitioners by focusing on engaged scholarship research into contemporary business and management problems
- Require successful defense of a dissertation
- Are taught by research active faculty with doctoral degrees
- Are a minimum of three years in length
- Are residency based
- Have a major cohort-based, lock step component